Active Living Blog
Posted: Apr 23, 10:00 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 23, 2012
Contact: Natalie Gille
RIDE YOUR BIKE DURING MAY TO CELEBRATE BEMIDJI BIKE MONTH
BEMIDJI, MINNESOTA – Spring is in the air and it’s time to get out your bike! The City of Bemidji and the League of American Bicyclist have declared May “Bemidji Bike Month.” Bike to work week is May 14-18, 2012 culminating in Bike to Work Day; Friday May 18th.
Mayor Dave Larson urges everyone to bike to work or try cycling for fun, fitness or transportation.
Events during Bemidji Bike Month include:
• May 1 Bemidji Bike Club Ride
6:00pm; start at Paul & Babe. Fast or slow, get out and share the joy of cycling with a group.
• May 14-18 is Bike to Work week. Been thinking about cycling to work? Here is your chance to give it a try. Share commuting adventure stories in the commuter challenge by sending an email to: ngillehrdc.org .
• May 14 First day of Bike to work week! Energizer Station at The Cabin Coffeehouse and Café, a Bike Friendly Business (BFB) applicant, is offering a FREE coffee, tea, fountain drink, or Italian soda if you show your helmet anytime on this day.
• May 15 Energizer Station at Harmony Foods is offering a FREE item if you show your helmet anytime on this day.
• May 16 Bike Rodeo @ 4:00-6:30pm: Bring your young children to the Boys and Girls Club for the Bike Rodeo. This fun event teaches cycling safety and skills. Free helmets and other prizes. There will be a limited number of reconditioned bikes given away to children in need of a bike. Parents must be present and the child must participate in the rodeo to receive a bike. First come first served.
• May 17 Energizer Station at City Hall, a Bike Friendly Community (BFC) pending applicant, offering a FREE gift if you show your helmet anytime on this day.
• May 18 Bike to work day and the last day of Bike to Work week! Energizer Stations at two of our local Bemidji bike shops – The Bike Guy Ski and Bicycle Shop, a Bike Friendly Business (BFB) applicant, and The Home Place. Show your helmet anytime on this day to receive a FREE water bottle and local bike route map at The Bike Guy Ski and Bicycle Shop and a FREE gift at The Home Place.
FREE PRIZES! There will be daily drawings during Bike to Work Week (May 14-18) at each of the Energizer Stations. Ride your bike to the Energizer Stations to put your name in the daily drawings and get your FREE gift.“Biking to work is an efficient and fun way to get the exercise you need, without having to find extra time to work out. And this year, with gasoline prices as high as they are, biking to work makes more sense than ever.” Andy Clarke, President League of American Bicyclists.
Local sponsors include: The Cabin Coffeehouse and Café, City of Bemidji, The Bike Guy Ski and Bicycle Shop, Shifting Gears, Bemidji State University, Bemidji Bike Club, Boys and Girls Club, Active Living, The Home Place, Sanford Center, MN Green Corps, and Harmony Foods.
If you would like more information on Bemidji Bike Month events, please call Natalie Gille
#218-333-6543 or email Natalie at ngillehrdc.org.